Archive for July, 2007

So Does This Make Me Look Fat?

July 17, 2007

The latest Burda WOF has a nifty twist top in the plus section (#124). I thought I’d try it with some buttermilk from Emmaonesock. As I traced it, I realized that the seriously nipped in waist would never do, so I traced the waist shaping from my standby tee. Here’s the result:

bluetwisttop01_web.jpg

This is the pulled down version — the darts are too high, but buttermilk is really stretchy!

The dart problem can be fixed (probably — it’s a really funky pattern piece), but I’m not happy with the top. It seems kinda frumpy (dare I say WalMart-y?), and I can’t decide whether it’s the fabric, the pattern, the combination or that I’m just feeling lumpy this week. What do you think?

Another White Tee

July 16, 2007

As I said, you can never have too many white tees. This is yet another from the Burda WOF 6/05 I’ve been using. The fabric is a cotton novelty jersey from the Cloth Merchants in Tulsa…it’s cool because it gives off an eyelet vibe without having any actual holes in it. It’s still pretty thin and sheer, though, so I made a lining from something rather nasty I found in my stash (was hurrying to pack for a trip). The lining works really well, but is pretty warm, so I need to replace it with something more breathable.

whiteteeii_web.jpg

Storming

July 4, 2007

The kind of shibori that I originally wanted to do is called arashi, which means storm. It’s pole wrapped and creates nifty organic diagonal stripes. Unfortunately, you need a pole. Most dyers in the US use PVC pipe, which works well when you are working with scarves that wrap nicely around 4 or 5 inch diameter pipes, and silk, which compresses really well. I want to do cotton interlock in sizes big enough to make a tee, so I had to get creative. Big PVC is really expensive and hard to find. Someone on the web, I think Karen Brito at Entwinements, mentioned using the coated cardboard tubes contractors use to pour concrete footings for decks and things…they are about 12″ in diameter and cost about $10 at Lowe’s, so I was off and running. I used a whole can of polyurethane to make it water resistant and started wrapping!

I arranged the fabric on a diagonal around the tube and wrapped about every 1/2 inch with thread. No pics, cuz it turns out you really can’t stop in the middle without everything coming loose. The fabric was longer than the tube, so I squished the wrapped parts down and bit, arranged some more fabric, and kept wrapping. Then I turned the tube on end and squished everything together. Where the thread is, the fabric stays near the tube; where the thread isn’t, the fabric puffs out a bit, so you end up with hundreds of tiny ridges. This is two yards of fabric squished to about 6 inches:
redarashi01_web.jpg

Then I used a foam paintbrush to dye the fabric. And my feet. <sigh>

This is sort of what I was expecting — white streaks where the thread was:

redarashi08_web.jpg

But most of what I got was way more subtle and interesting:

redarashi09_web.jpg

So, I overdyed the whole thing with a really soft bath of the same red to knock the edge off the white. With some careful cutting, I think this will make a smashing tee:

redarashi10_web.jpg