Potholders to Trade!

This year our ASG decided to exchange homemade potholders at our Christmas party. I made two, one for the afternoon meeting and one for the evening. In October, someone had handed out directions to make simple potholders that didn’t require binding, so I gave them a try.

For the fronts, I scanned a Christmas postcard from my grandmother’s album. It’s in Swedish and dates from the early twenties. I printed the graphic on photo fabric, then log cabined some scraps to get up to the desired size.

asg_ph_front_web.jpg

The back is made from folded squares of fabric — they are actually sewn on top of the front, then wrapped around to the back to hide the seam allowances. You can arrange the squares in either a four patch or triangles, so I tried both. The squares were much easier to handle — the triangles look cool, but you have to wrangle a lot of bias edges.

asg_ph_back_web.jpg

In exchange, I got two very cute potholders — one has birds and one has Lorelei sewing ladies

asg_ph_recd_web.jpg

Both were made by people braver than I — the edges are bound!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: