Archive for the ‘Dyeing’ Category

Whoops! I Did It Again!

January 30, 2009

I painted another dog blue.  murphyblue_04_webWhat, you say?  You can’t see the blue? Let’s get closer:

murphyblue_01_webMan this little guy is fast.  I thought he was outside!  I swear the paint jar was open for no more than a minute, up on the kitchen counter.  I still don’t have any idea how he got himself all punked up.

I do know that he’s feeling pretty proud of himself for defeating all attempts to play the wet towel game.

Ironically, the paint was open because I was testing a screen I made from a picture of him — so I have two blue, wet dogs drying in my kitchen!

Dye Resist Experiments — Double Diagonal Clamping

November 22, 2008

Another double dyed fabric, this time using clamps both times.  This one was folded in squares, clamped diagonally with a pair of ceramic tiles, and dyed fuchsia.  Then I repeated the dyeing, angling the tiles the other way and using cobalt dye.  One tile cracked as I was setting the clamps, which I think caused the line through the white areas at the bottom This has some really cool potential! (As soon as I find something less brittle than ceramic tiles to clamp with…)

doublediagonalclamp_01webAgain, I was curious how the color would differ from a mix-and-dye-once dip:

doublediagonalclamp_02web

Dye Resist Experiments — Drawing Lines

November 21, 2008

Trying to get resisted lines, I first used a simple running stitch and drawing the thread tight.  But I couldn’t get it tight enough:orinui_01web

So, I tried again using a running stitch along a fold, which got a double layer of fabric.  Much better:

orinui_02web

This is a color experiment as well — I’m beginning to see that dyeing one color over another is not equivalent to mixing the two and dyeing, so I’m starting some tests to see if I can learn what to expect (hah! as if…).  This is the difference between the overdye, with the lines, and the mixed version of the same colors, in the overlay strip.  For these colors, it’s fairly close.

orinui_02_02web

Dye Resist Experiment — Round Clamps

November 20, 2008

The last time I tried clamping these round wooden disks on the edges of a folded fabric, I just used clips and didn’t get much resist.  This time, I used real clamps.  Much better!

dotclamp02_02webThis differs from the disks centered on the fabric stack — the lines through the circles come from the tiny bit of dye that slips between the disks.

Dye Resist Experiments — Mokume Gane

November 6, 2008

Mokume gane is a wood grain effect created by sewing parallel lines of running stitches then gathering them tightly.
mokume_01web
I’m afraid that I didn’t gather tightly enough, and there isn’t much texture on this one.

mokume_02webAt least, I think that’s why there isn’t much texture.  I left this one sitting in the dye during curing — I’ll have to try taking it out and see if that increases the resist effect.

Pleat-Resist Dyed Tee

November 5, 2008

After I got such cool results with pleat binding on a fat quarter of quilting cotton, I got all cocky and tried pleat binding on enough cotton interlock for a tee.  The fabric started out white, was dyed a pale yellow, then pleated:

pleatboundknit_02_weband dyed with cobalt:

pleatboundknit03_web

pleatboundknit_04_web

Then made into a tee!

pb040001_web
Oh my…who is that dour woman?  I was just home from our monthly ASG meeting and was trying not to cough.  Let’s have a happier pic:

murphyhalloween_01_webMeet my new assistant Murphy!  He’s 17 weeks old and 25 pounds already!  He went to doggy day care for the first time today and came home a wet noodle!  I think he liked it!

Ombre Attempt

November 4, 2008

After seeing the results of the ring binding experiment, I wondered if I could get an ombre effect by simply rolling the fabric and dyeing it.  The rolling was simple enough, but I didn’t have a container long enough to lay the roll out, so I had to coil it.  The results are cool, but not ombre.

rollcoil_03_web

I’ll have to look for another container.

Dye Resist Experiments — Spider Binding

November 3, 2008

This is a really traditional shibori design — pinch a bit of fabric and wrap it with thread.  The bound fabric looks rather alien:

bound_web

I did two pieces of this, one pre-soaked in soda ash and one not.

With soda:

boundss_02web

Without:

boundlwi_01web

Not a great deal of difference in detail.

With the green one, I was hoping to mimic some fabric I saw in a picture with was all texture — it’s going to take some practice to figure out how to get the binding closer together without losing any fingers…I wonder if taking some “spikes” to the other side of the fabric would help?

Dye Resist Experiments — Binder Clips

October 24, 2008

I could only find little binder clips, so I didn’t stack this one up in one bundle:

I did two samples — one soda soaked and one not.  I had assumed that the soda soaking would reduce the amount of dye migration.

With soda:

Without soda:

So much for intuition.  Interesting results…

Dye Resist Experiments — Triangle Clamp

October 23, 2008

This is a totally classic itajime technique, although I don’t think the Japanese used ceramic tiles:

This fabric was also dipped in a soda solution before clamping.  I dipped the bundle into dye and left it sitting with the point in the dye.  Note to self, a) ceramic tiles are too brittle to handle clamps and b) think about how to rest the bundle in the dye before placing the clamp.

I love the results!  I want to figure out how to dye tshirt knit this way, but the number of layers seems too large to manage.  I’ll have to keep working on it.